shine | raising aspirations and creating opportunities
MAKING YOUR EVENT MORE SUSTAINABLE
Here’s a quick guide that will help you make your event more sustainable
• Try to be as paper free as possible – add a web link to your presentation!
• If paper or handouts are used please look for the re-cycled paper mark when purchasing stationery – you can also look for FSC certification (Forest Stewardship Council)
• Use responsible suppliers – look for associations and recommendations
• Giveaway gifts are a good way to remind delegates about your organisation. Ensure gifts can be re-cycled and that gifts are useful and will be used and not thrown away. Even better buy gifts which are made of re-cycled material – try www.ec-ecogifts.co.uk
• Encourage delegates to car share, cycle and travel together. There are many sites that can co-ordinate car sharing www.liftshare.com / www.gocarshare.com / www.cyclestreets.net
• Try to be as accurate as possible with delegate numbers in order not to waste food
• Does your venue use fair trade and local suppliers? www.fairtrade.org.uk and check out suppliers
• Request re-cycled paper bins for your conference / meeting rooms
• Turn off lights during breakout times or when natural daylight can be used
• Choose a venue that takes sustainability seriously – ask for their sustainability policy!
• Pass on this information to your delegates, help them to make the right choice
• Finally – enjoy your event knowing you have gone that extra mile to make your event more sustainable!
Small steps………make a big impact!