When looking at how to describe what a social enterprise is, I looked at the Social Enterprise UK website and they really are the best company to describe it, so I have inserted a snippet below.
“A social enterprise is a business that trades for a social and/or environmental purpose. It will have a clear sense of its ‘social mission’: which means it will know what difference it is trying to make, who it aims to help, and how it plans to do it. It will bring in most or all of its income through selling goods or services. And it will also have clear rules about what it does with its profits, reinvesting these to further the ‘social mission’.
- Are businesses that aim to generate their income by selling goods and services, rather than through grants and donations
- Are set up to specifically make a difference
- Reinvest the profits they make in their social mission
According to Social Enterprise UK, social enterprises should:
- Have a clear social and/or environmental mission set out in their governing documents
- Generate the majority of their income through trade
- Reinvest the majority of their profits
- Be autonomous of state
- Be majority controlled in the interests of the social mission
- Be accountable and transparent
More detail about these points can be found in the short paper (from Social Enterprise UK) – What makes a social enterprise a social enterprise?“
All credit for the above quote goes to Social Enterprise UK
There are so many different types of Social Enterprise and the way that they run is very different. Some run with a large amount of grants, funding and volunteers therefore more like Charities.
Others run as a business putting 95% of their profits into social impact initiatives. The way that they run is to enable them to make a positive impact on the community. This is an extremely sustainable way of running a business and making a difference.
Shine is a Social Enterprise and runs as a business. An ethical and sustainable model that generates a profit to enable Shine to impact positively on the community.
Shine is a Leeds based conference and event facility, providing; conference, meeting, events and office space, in a beautiful Grade II listed building, together with outside catering, a café and art gallery, but with a difference. Shine is an inspirational place with amazing service, it is also a social enterprise.
Shine is constantly looking for new opportunities to raise aspirations and create opportunities for the local community by;
- Social Impact initiatives
- Supporting Children & the Community
- Supporting People with Convictions
- Supporting Entrepreneurs in Leeds
0113 388 0000